Micro Needling & Collagen Induction Therapy (CIT) Sydney
Before and AftersView gallery
Dermastamp is a German engineered device, whereby a vibrating handpiece is used to apply very fine needles to the skin in order to promote tissue stimulation, skin rejuvenation and scar reduction. It is not a laser or heat-based device and there is no skin coagulation or burning. It is therefore suitable for all skin types and colours, with very little risk of adverse reactions.
Dermastamp uses the principal of ‘medical needling’ which, by creating micro wounds in the skin, induces a repair process whereby the skin is stimulated to release growth and healing factors which create new collagen in and around the treated area. This results in skin regeneration and rejuvenation. Additionally the procedure is used to puncture scar tissue, which can then soften and improve as new collagen grows in and around the scar.
These regenerative effects can be used to create skin rejuvenation, scar reduction, and to improve conditions such as fine wrinkling, acne scarring, stretch marks and enlarged pores.
Prior to treatment the skin is numbed with local anaesthetic paste. This greatly reduces any discomfort. The skin is thoroughly cleansed, and then the tip of the device is passed over the skin in a gliding manner, creating stimulating micro channels as it goes. Simultaneously, a hyaluronic acid preparation may be infused into the skin to boost hydration. This process continues until an even flushing of the skin is seen, which indicates a complete treatment. Afterwards a soothing mask and hydrating serums and balms are applied. The whole procedure takes around an hour and a half.
After treatment the skin will feel hot, tight and may have a slight burning sensation. This will lessen over the next 4 to 48 hours. Do not touch the skin for the first hour, as the skin is open and you may risk causing infection. Mineral makeup may then be applied after 1-2 hours using clean hands. For the next 3-5 days, a specific post-skin-needling kit is recommended to optimise results and reduce the risk of negative effects. During this time, do not use any products containing Vitamin A, Vitamin C or AHA’s, as these may irritate the healing skin. After one week, your normal skin care regime may be resumed.
The immediate after-effects vary between individuals, any side effects are mostly mild to moderate. These may include:
- Skin redness can vary from a few hours to 24 hours and rarely for 2-3 days. This settles as the skin heals.
- Skin dryness and mild shedding. It is normal to experience some skin dryness and a small amount of skin shedding for up to 5 days. At day 5, a gentle exfoliant may be used.
- Hyper-pigmentation. This is rare and temporary, resolving over the next few weeks. To help prevent hyper-pigmentation, avoid sunlight/UV exposure and use a SPF 15+ (or higher) for 2 weeks post treatment.
- Cold Sores. If you have a history of herpes simplex you may experience an outbreak post treatment. Prior to the treatment, your doctor may prescribe medication to prevent this.
- Bruising may occur as a result of treatment.
- Please contact the clinic should this occur, as treatment to resolve it may be possible.
- Post treatment infection is a rare possibility.
- Should this occur, contact the clinic for treatment.
After the initial healing period, your skin should appear smoother. However, new collagen will grow from about week six. Your skin will continue to improve over 6-12 months.
For skin rejuvenation, scars and acne scar reduction usually 4-6 treatments are needed, 4-6 weeks apart.
Yes, a gentle hand-held ‘Dermaroller’ is available for home use, to help stimulate the skin and aid the penetration of skincare ingredients.
Although the treatment is safe for most people, contraindications include:
- Pregnancy and Breastfeeding
- Blood thinners
- Keloid scarring
- Heart conditions (caution with topical anaesthetic)
- Blood disorders
- Infectious diseases
- Active acne
- Open lesions
- Active herpes
- Eczema, psoriasis, dermatitis
- Autoimmune diseases
Yes, Dermastamp can be used in conjunction with PRP (Platelet Rich Plasma) treatment where healing factors are extracted directly from your own blood plasma, and infused into the skin simultaneously with hyaluronic acid during the Dermastamp treatment. This further enhances results.