What are dermal fillers?
Dermal Fillers are one of the most popular treatments for rejuvenating the skin.
What are dermal fillers?
Dermal fillers (also called cosmetic skin injectables) are used to reduce the lines and wrinkles while restoring the loss of volume caused by ageing. This procedure can also be used for scars caused by acne, trauma and surgery.
What are they used for?
Dermal fillers can be used in several different areas on the face. The areas include:
- Dermal fillers are used to enhance the shape, size and the overall symmetry of the lips.
- Volume loss around the cheek area is usually as a result of aging and can lead to a tired, looking face. When the volume is replaced, it can also provide support for the lower face area.
- As we age, the eyebrows tend to flatten and droop as a result of the looseness in the skin. By using dermal fillers, it can correct the volume of the skin creating and shaping a more youthful face.
- Fine lines are usually found around the lips, cheeks, forehead and the frown area. Dermal Fillers can help to soften these lines.
- Fillers can volumize and rejuvenate the face by improving the youthful contours while also balancing the overall appearance.
- Dermal fillers can help to create facial harmony by creating a more prominent chin.
Dermal fillers can also be used for non-surgical anti-aging facial treatments. These include:
- Anti-wrinkle injections can help to remove excessive expression lines and wrinkles as well as facial slimming through reducing the muscle mass of the jaw.
- Laser resurfacing is good for fine lines and coarse wrinkles, scars and uneven pigmentation.
- Micro-Needling can be effective in treating skin rejuvenation, scar reduction as well as improving conditions for fine wrinkling.
Are there any side effects?
Dermal fillers are not very invasive as injections are only placed underneath the top layer of skin. You may experience some temporary discomfort post-procedure which could include swelling and bruising. If this occurs, it should disappear within a couple of days. If your swelling and bruising do not begin to diminish, it is important to seek advice from your doctor.
How long do they last?
Results can last up to 12 months, sometimes longer, depending on the patient’s metabolism and the area treated.
Unique to this type of dermal filler is that they can be completely reversed, should you wish to remove it, or any problems arise. The reversal usually occurs by injecting the specific enzyme that your own skin produces, to safely break up the gel.
Dermal Fillers at ADA Cosmetic Medicine
If you are considering dermal fillers as a procedure for rejuvenating your skin or have some queries, feel free to contact us and one of our experienced team members will be happy to answer any queries you may have.